August & September In Review
So summer is officially over! I’m actually super excited because not only is Autumn my favourite time of the year, but it’s also when I’m most productive. I actually got ahead of myself and started a lot of projects early…
Here are my highlights for the last two months!
- Hotel Chocolat make chocolate tea! That’s right, CHOCOLATE TEA! Which has now become a daily part of my life! The peppermint and chile versions are now my reward for hitting word count goals, and as the long nights begin, they also make me feel really festive :)
- I didn't think anything could top this, until I ventured to the food festival in York last week. After getting lost, I stumbled across York Cocoa House and all I can say is… dark chocolate flakes with a hint of peppermint… that is heaven in a cup!
- Then I found Marzipan Coffee!
- Truthfully the marzipan coffee wasn't a new discovery, but since I haven't drank any since I was fourteen (Almost 14 years in itself) it certainly counts as a re-discovery :) You can find it in Germany - where at the start of September, I spent a beautiful week visiting my aunt and uncle. Now I’m looking forward to going back in December for the Christmas markets!
- Otherwise aside from a couple of long (wet) weekends caravanning in Scotland, I had a self-imposed writing retreat up at my family’s cottage in Alnwick. And on the 17th of October I will be meeting my other-half in POLAND for some wintery adventures :)
- Patchwork Blanket! So when I about six, my grandmother taught me to knit, but it wasn't a skill I ever put to any use. However I’ve always wanted to make myself a patchwork blanket and this year I decided it was time I do it. I’m about 18 squares into the 36 I need but so far its coming together quite nicely.
- I’ve also been knitting scarves - they make excellent Christmas presents - and I’ve just finished scarf number two. I was using Sirdar Aura Chunky yarn because not only is it super soft, but the colours are stunning!
- Blackberries! There seems to have been an abundance of blackberries around my local area this year so I’ve made jars upon jars of jam. Blackberry Jam, Apple and Blackberry Jam… plus several mason jars of blackberry liqueur. Yum Yum :)
- Editing my MG Fantasy - After two months distance the time for editing (or in my case, seriously slicing and dicing my word count) has begun. I’m currently onto chapter four and have ditched just over 2500 words so far… which means I still need to cut about 18,000 more! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Books Read in August:
- The Next Together by Lauren James (BB) ****
- Missing Arabella by Kathryn Siebel ***
- The Nearest Faraway Place by Hayley Long (BB) *****
- The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James (BB) ****
- Air Awakens by Elise Kova ***
- Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle ****
- Fire Falling by Elise Kova ***
- Hear the Wolves by Victoria Scott **
- The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr (BB) ****
- The Secrets of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange (BB) *****
- Heist Society by Ally Carter ***
- The Disappearances by Emily Bain Murphy ****
Books Read in September:
- A Place Called Perfect by Helena Duggan ****
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik *****
- The Red Ribbon by Lucy Adlington (BB) ****
- Earth’s End by Elise Kova ***
- Secrets in Death by J.D Robb ***
- Aurabel by Laura Dockrill (BB) ***
- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh ***
- Snowspelled by Stephanie Burgis (BB) ***
- Darkness Rises by Lily Blake (Reign Novella) ***
- The Prophecy by Lily Blake (Reign) ***
- The Haunting by Lily Blake (Reign Novella) ***
The Disappearances ****
The Red Ribbon ****
How is life treating the rest of you? Any adventures of your own last month?