Tuesday, 6 June 2017

May in Review


(Kamloops - Road-tripping in Canada!)

May in Review

Hey lovelies - how is life treating you all? Can you believe May is over already? I don't know about everyone else, but for me 2017 is passing by super super fast.

 Here are my May highlights:

(One Star for everyday of writing!)

  • I HIT 50K ON MY MIDDLE GRADE WIP! I’m finally writing again, and this month I took my WIP from 35K to 50K. Thanks to some handy tools and V.E Schwab’s awesome star system (You can find more info on that on my post: WRITING HACKS & TRICKS) I’m well on my way to hitting my 60K goal and should have my first draft finished soon! Exciting!! 

  • I READ ELEVEN BOOKS! Not only did I hit my reading target for this month, but I’ve reached 50/100 books on my Goodreads Challenge, which puts me eight books ahead of schedule! … That’s never happened before. 

  • MOUNTAINS, LAKES and LOG CABINS! My boyfriend and I took a drive across Canada. Not only was the weather gorgeous but the scenery was simply stunning. Although I think my boyfriend was rather worried by how many pictures I took of ducks and gofers… *So much cuteness!*

  • I’M GOING BACK TO ENGLAND! Yep, I finally booked my ticket home. I think my mother had lost all hope of me ever returning! But on the 5th of July I will be back on home soil :) … Now I’ve just got to keep my fingers crossed that my brother has managed to keep his hands off my easter eggs!

  • 88 CUPS OF TEA - And no, that’s not a one-day achievement of mine, but a podcast I recently discovered. Ran by the amazing Yin Chang, it features interviews with bestselling YA authors like V.E Schwab, Victoria Aveyard, Alexandra Bracken, Angie Thomas, Louise O'Neill and so many more. Packed with writing & publishing advice, plus fun facts and laughs I really urge you guys to check it our HERE.

And that pretty much wraps up my month. Aside from reading, writing and hitting the gym, May has been pretty quiet for me. I’m massively behind on book reviews, and the blog in general, but since I’ve made finishing my WIP my priority hopefully I will catch up with it all soon.


Books Read

  1. Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas ****
  2. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater ***
  3. Spindles Fire by Lexa Hillyer **
  4. The Last Duchess by Laura Powell ***
  5. Newts Emerald by Garth Nix ***
  6. The Winners Crime by Marie Rutkoski ****
  7. Duels and Deceptions by Cindy Anstey ***
  8. Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch ****
  9. The Weight of Feathers by Anna Marie McLemore *****
  10. Ruined by Amy Tintera ***
  11. The Winners Kiss by Marie Rutkoski ****

I ticked so many books off my TBR list this month - Thank You North Vancouver Library! My favourites though were:

 THE WINNERS CURSE Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski - her writing just flows so beautifully. 

Then there was LOVE AND GELATO which has made me crave a holiday to Italy - such a fab summer read. 

However the WEIGHT OF FEATHERS was my most unusual read. I hated the first 75 pages but soon found myself hooked by the spell binding world Anna Mclemore created. If you like magical realism it is definitely one to check out!

Books Reviewed


Other Posts:


And that wraps up my May. How was it for the rest of you? Is life treating you all well?

SARAH
x

6 comments:

  1. My goodness, what a month! Congrats on hitting 50k, that's fantastic! It also looks like you got a lot of reading done, so that's always a great thing. :) I'm definitely going to go check out your writing hacks & tricks and your review for Frogkisser - I've been wanting to read that one so badly. Your drive across Canada also sounds like it was lovely, I would love to do that one day. I hope June treats you well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jordan - Canada so far has been really amazing! And I hope you find the writing hacks and tricks helpful. Frog kisser though is delightful, such a fun read :) Definitely pick it up when you get the chance! All the best for June!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH so good to hear you loved the winner's curse, it's one of my favourite books ever so i'm so glad to find another book worm that loves it! Also looks like you had such a fantastic reading month, congrats! Lovely wrap up and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Winners Curse was fab and I'm looking forward to reading more books by Marie Rutkoski :) I'm on real reading binge right now so curious to see how many more books I can fly through this month! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. sounds like a jam-packed month! I'd love to visit Canada some day. It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada is stunning, If you get a chance its definitely a great place to travel!

      Delete