Friday, 19 May 2017

Mini Reviews 2017 #1



Hey everyone! So today I decided to post some mini-reviews, I’m on a role with my Goodreads reading challenge this year (already 44 books!) and I wanted to share with some of the books that didn't make the review list.

Echoes in Death by JD Robb #44 ****             

I am a huge fan of Nora Roberts futuristic detective series. I have read all the “In-Death” books to date and this was a really good one. Will plenty of red-herrings, it was hard to work out who the culprit was - and the ending had a really nice twist to it. Looking forward to the next release in September!

A Darker Shade of Magic #1 by V.E Schwab ****

This series has been on my TBR pile for long - I’m only sad I didn't pick it up sooner. I love the world-building so much and the ideas of multiple Londons and magic coats. The characters were also super interesting and  there was just so much about this book to like!

A Gathering of Shadows #2 by V.E Schwab ****      

I thought this story danced to a slower pace than the first book, but we got to meet some interesting new characters and explore more of the world. I really enjoyed the plot and loved how each character had their own problems to deal with - before ultimately gathering together for the bigger picture. Really looking forward to starting book 3!

The Gift by Alison Croggon ***
A proper old-school-style fantasy! This was actually a re-read since I first read this book back when I was a pre-teen. However I think I understood the world much better this time around, although the plot wasn't quite as deep as I remembered. Still this is a series I would like to continue with and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of High-fantasy. Aka, long and winding journeys, dark creatures, sword fights and of course, a foretold “chosen” hero. 

The Fate of the Tearing #3 by Erika Johansen **

This book was the biggest disappointment. The first 80% was fabulous but that ending?! Words cannot describe how much I hated it. Not only were so many questions left unanswered, but the ending essentially made the previous storyline completely redundant. As much as I loved the first two books in thus trilogy, I would now be wary to read anything else by this author….

Judged by Liz De Jager (Blackheart #3) ****

The final book in the Blackhearts trilogy, I utterly and thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters had such great dynamics, I loved the world-building and the plot was super intriguing. It was a brilliant end to the series and I’m really looking forward to reading more books by Liz De Jager. 

Talk to Me!

Have you read any of these books? If so I would love to know your thoughts on the comments :)

6 comments:

  1. Egad. I should do something similar. Oddly enough, I'm behind on the blog but wayyyyy ahead on my reading. Sigh.

    Still need to continue reading In Death series by JD Robb, as well need to continue that VE Schwab one. So many books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - Mini Reviews are a great way to clear through all the books you've read - especially those books that you loved, but aren't sure how to put your feelings into a review :)

      Delete
  2. Are the 'In-Death' books set in the future? I see them at work all the time but I've never picked one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are set in the future but only just, 2050 - and all the tech and gadgets are so feasible, you can totally picture that this is what the future will be like. They are super good books, I really hope you pick them up!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed ADSoM! I can't wait to read the rest of the series too!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost finished the last book and so far, I'm really enjoying that too - I cant wait to read more by V.E Schwab!

      Delete