Friday, 2 December 2016

November in Review

November in Review

My lovely birthday gifts: A sloth hot-water bottle, boxing gloves, ears muffs, notebook and teacup :)

Hey guys! It’s been a long while since I last did a wrap up, so here are this month’s highlights :)

  • I turned 27 on the 28th of November - although I still have the mentality of a teenager, just maybe a couple more grey hairs lol. You can see my wonderful birthday presents featured above, courtesy of the other half. And yes, those are pink boxing gloves!

  • I handed in my notice at work. I’m thrilled to say that come March 1st I will be quitting my job here in China, and will be moving back home back to England! After four years away its time to throw in the towel. I’m super excited for this, not only because I plan to spend at least a few months blissfully unemployed, but I’ll be back just in time for easter :) Bring on the cadburys!

  • NaNoWriMo was an epic failure this year! I managed a grand total of 6000 words, which is less than what I would usually write in a month anyway! But hey ho - that puts my current WIP at around 25K. Even slow progress is progress…

  • I also tried making pulled pork for the first time and it turned out beautiful. So easy, so tasty, SO will be making this again soon.

Books Read and Reviewed

  1. The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis - 5 stars!
  2. The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead - 2.5 stars (readable but longwinded)
  3. A Girl Called Owl by Amy Wilson - 4 stars!
  4. The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles - 3 stars! (Too much instant love)
  5. The Secret City by C.J. Daugherty and Carina Rozenfeld - 4 stars!
  6. A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani - 4 stars!
  7. Pax by Sara Penny Packer - 3 stars! (Loved, but didn't like the ending)
  8. Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard - 4.5stars!
  9. Wendy Darling: Seas by Colleen Oakes - 4 stars!

Currently Reading

So I always have a few book on the go at once, although I didn't actually realise quite how many until I wrote this list though. Also don't be surprised if you see me still “Currently reading” them next month too… Books are picked up based on my mood swings, and some book have literally taken me years to finish!

  • The Road to Ever After by Moria Young
  • A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard
  • Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
  • Moon chosen by P.C Cast
  • Fearsome Dreamer by Laura Eve
  • Lorali by Laura Dockrill


And that wraps up my November. How was your month?

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't get to finish NaNoWriMo! I can totally get it though... how people can easily finish it is so mind blowing to me! Happy you liked Beautiful Broken Things, just another motivation that I need to read it haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Broken Things really is amazing - and that says a lot coming from me. I normally hate contempoary reads lol

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a busy month! :) Happy belated birthday! I turned 26 in September but I still feel 10 and a half and waiting for my Hogwarts letter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy (late) Birthday and yay for being able to move back home, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) and yes, nothing beats being back home surrounded by actual books! I can't wait!

      Delete
  4. Happy (belated) birthday! Love the pink boxing gloves :)
    Looks like you had a really great reading month! I'm really intrigued by the Wedny Darling books, will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey - and my pink boxing gloves are fab! They are the swankiest boxing gloves in the gym :)

      Delete
  5. So sorry your NaNo didn't go too well :( Really sorry about that.
    Happy (very) belated birthday! And happy reading ahead, enjoy those books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always next year for NaNo, but I've already written more in December than I did in November so... I guess its a balance.

      Delete
  6. Hey 6000 words for NaNo is 6000 words you didn't have before, so you should count that as a win. It's a brutal goal, writing 50k words in a month.

    Happy birthday!! I love those gloves. And the sloth hot water bottle is pretty fabulous, too. :)

    I'm happy you're excited about moving home. It must be hard to live abroad for such a long time - I only studied abroad for 3 months, it was about 5 hours from where I live, and I missed my husband, friends and family very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kaja - yeah I know, 6000 words is nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully this month will be even more productive!

      And yes I'm really looking forward to going home... although who knows how long I will stay before I'm ready for another adventure. My boyfriend and I are already thinking about Russia lol

      Delete
  7. I didn't finish NaNo either, and ended up writing around 10,000 words. Hopefully we'll be able to write more next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to next year lol. Still 10,000 words is a lot :) Progress is progress, however slow :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete