Friday, 2 September 2016

August In Review




(The view from atop Edinburgh Castle) 

August In Review

Hey guys, so as you can see I haven't been around the blog much this month. That’s because I’ve been on holiday in the UK. Lol that probably doesn't sound exciting to many of you, but since I live in China, having a month at home was pure luxury!

However it was fun seeing the UK from a non-natives view point. My boyfriend  is Canadian - and this was his first trip to jolly old England. His excitement over double-decker buses aside, I think we packed everything we could into four short weeks. Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Newcastle, York, Sheffield, Durham, The Lake district… we’ve been everywhere! And I finally got to see the musical, CHICAGO too!

...But, after a very long journey (49hours!) we are now back safe and sound in China. 

Books Read and Reviewed

So thanks to lots of long train/plane journeys I managed to get through so many books this month. For the first time in forever my Netgalley TBR list is empty! Wa-hey!

  • The Beginning Woods by McNeill Malcolm 
  • Starborn by Lucy Hounsom
  • The Shadowhour by Melissa Grey
  • After Alice by Gregory Maguire 
  • These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
  • Franklin’s Emporium by The White Lace Gloves by Gill Vickery 
  • The Flame Never Dies by Rachel Vincent 
  • Swashbuckle Lil - The secret Pirate by Elli Willard
  • Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley (Adored this - such a beautiful piece of fiction)
  • The Other Alice by Michelle Harrison (Probably my favourite read this month!)
  • Sweet Legacy by Tera Lynn Childs 
  • Seas: Wendy Darling by Colleen Oakes (A great second book)
  • Forest of Ruin by Kelly Armstrong (Epic trilogy! Really loved this!)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Mass (Loved, Loved, Loved!)


Currently Reading

The Road to Ever After by Moira Young
The Secret City by C. J. Daugherty & Carina Rozenfeld


Watching

I don’t normally watch a lot of TV or movies, but given my sixteen hour plane ride there and back again - I’ve definitely been catching up.

Pride and Prejudice Zombies - If you don't take it seriously, this is actually a pretty good movie :)

The Divergent Movies - I marathoned all four. I really enjoyed the first one, but slowly felt they went a little ‘meh’ as they progressed. Although I haven't read past the first book, I think these films are supposed to deviate a little from the plot. Good or bad, I’m not sure.

The 5th Wave - For the first thirty minutes, I thought this was amazing. Then I felt everything became too predictable. However I haven't read the book yet, and I hear its meant to be incredible. 

Once Upon A Time Season 4 - I finally finished it! And loved it as I always do. Admittedly I have a bit of a weakness for this show (and a certain pirate captain!) I can’t believe its been over a year since I watched this! Time to start season 5….

And that’s about it for August. What did  you guys get up too?


14 comments:

  1. I didn't get nearly as much read this month as in July, thanks to working two 70-hour weeks. Maybe September will be better. I see Maas made another ACOMAF fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I don't usually have so much reading time so I always take advantage of my holidays :) Although 70 hours weeks are outrageous! I think you too should take a holiday! ... And yeah, Sarah J Mass is always a pleasure to read!

      Delete
  2. Wow that's quite the view! Sounds like you guys had a great month in England. I haven't read The secret City but I'm reading her Night school books. And I liked the first Divergent movie, thought the second was okay, and after that... yikes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree about the divergent movies... although I hear the books got even worse. And I really want to read the night school series - You have to let me know what you think of them but I'm really enjoying The secret City so far :)

      Delete
    2. I've read the first two Night School books and I'm hooked. they're not without their flaws but I am just having a lot of fun with them and they're very readable. I just like the world of the academy in the story. I'm starting book three now and may read her other books after these, if they keep holding up.

      My review of the first one is here is you want more info.
      http://gregsbookhaven.blogspot.com/2016/09/night-school.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks Greg - I'll be sure to check it out :)

      Delete
  3. A month in the UK? Lucky! I'm so glad you were able to spend so much time back home, that is awesome! You had a wonderful month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great month - although it seems like just a dream now. Cant believe how quick it flew by!

      Delete
  4. Yay for an empty NetGalley shelf! Woohoo! And yay for a month in the UK!

    Also yay for the SJMaas ACoMaF love (me too!!!!)

    Here's my weekly round-up : #IMWAYR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I have a weakness for net galley. No sooner do I clear my shelf then I go and request another 5 or so books. Reading nose back to the grindstone I guess lol

      Delete
  5. Oh travel is so good for reading (I love audios for this). Looks like you rocked it. Glad you had fun on vacay. Oh and thanks for the heads up on P&P&Zombies. I'm curious about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel there are never enough holidays in a year lol! But it was nice to get through so many books - with things picking up at work I sense there will be a huge decline in my reading time.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. Oooo, holiday! I have never been to Europe but it is on my bucket list. I loved Forest of Ruin too! Wasn't the trilogy great? *happy sigh*

    Best of luck with all things September! =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Forest of Ruin - this trilogy was my first time reading Kelly Armstrong but will definitely be picking her up again. Such a good read :)

      Delete