Sunday, 11 October 2015

The Sin Eaters Daughter - Book Review


The Sin Eater’s Daughter - Book Review
Melinda Sailsbury
YA Fantasy
(The Sin Eaters Daughter Book #1)
UK Publisher: Scholastic Press

Synopsis:

I am the perfect weapon. 
I kill will a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a Prince, and rule the Kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has its price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla’s fatal touch.

Only lief, an outspoke new guard, can see past Twylla;s chilling role to the girl she truly is.

Yet in a court as dangerous as the queen’s, some truths should not be told…

Review:

It’s been a while since I reviewed a book where I was unsure how to begin. I guess the first thoughts that come to mind is that phrase - “does what it says on the tin” - except in this case, this book is nothing at all like the the blurb on the back suggests. That said, I enjoyed this story, but it wasn't quite the story I thought it would be. 

Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the Castle. She is engaged to the crown Prince. She will be the next Queen. But for now, she is the kingdom’s executioner. Only with the arrival of her new guard, Lief, does she begin to question her role within the palace. And when a forbidden romance blossoms between them, Twylla will learn the hard way that not everything in her life is as it appears. 

But with the queen plotting a war and the crown Prince determined to make Twylla his bride, Twylla will find that her freedom will come at a price. A price that could cost her both her heart and soul…

  The Sin Eaters Daughter is the sort of book that I would call a quiet read. It didn't have a lot of action, but I thought the writing was beautiful and the idea of sin eating was extremely intriguing. With the story itself being about a young girl who must learn to find her courage and take control of her own destiny, I think this book will be enjoyed most by the younger end of YA.

In terms of romance, I thought the plot ran a little too instant love. However since Twylla has grown up being unable to touch another living being, leading her to living a very sheltered and secluded life, it is easy to understand how she gives herself to the first good looking guy around. Yet even so, I didn't find their romance realistic, so in that way, this book fell short for me.

But as character I really liked Twylla. Fundamentally she is just a normal girl with fears and insecurities that the people around her exploit to keep her doing their bidding. This for me made Tywlla very original as a character. She wasn't particularly brave, nor intelligent. Just average girl who finds herself in the middle of big problems. She is definitely someone most young girls can and will relate to.

So overall the book itself was a nice read. I just believe the blurb makes it sound like its something its not, which is a shame, as the story has plenty of merit without the misleading storyline. But the writing is vivid, the characters are easy to understand and as whole, the story is good.

I give The Sin Eater’s Daughter 3 stars!

1 comment:

  1. This is book is not on my to-check list but with all the mixed reviews its been getting i wasn't sure if I wanted to check it. But maybe i will.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete