Saturday, 14 March 2015

The One - Book Review


The One - Book Review

Kiera Cass

YA Dystopian

Book #3 of the Selection Trilogy

UK publisher: Harper Collins Childrens Books

Synopsis:

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown - or to Prince Maxon’s heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realises just how much she stands to lose - and how hard she’ll have to fight for the future she wants.

Review:

I enjoyed this series from start to finish. Although I felt it had some flaws - and I occasionally wanted to punch Maxon for being an idiot - I liked reading about America’s adventures in the Selection. From not wanting to be there, to becoming a true possible candidate for future queen, America has had quite the journey. With both its ups and downs and I feel The One brought the series to a satisfying conclusion.

Now among the final candidates, America and the rest of the world hold their breath as the deadline to the Selection draws ever closer. While the world and half the rebel army wish to see her become their future Queen, America finds she only wants one persons opinion. But America will only stay if she has captured the Prince completely, for her heart belongs to him. But will he give her his  in return?

I think what I really enjoyed most this book was the change that came over many of the characters. Especially the other girls within the Selection. For the first time, I felt we truly got to see the sides of themselves they had previously kept hidden, and I loved how the queen embraced them all into her family - sharing her own past and experience with the girls.

More emotionally packed than the previous books, its nice to see America finally make her choice between Aspen and Maxon. The love triangle was beginning to get a little tedious, however even with her decision made, Aspen and Maxon continued to wreck havoc in Americas life - and each others.

This story was also a lot more action based, with the rebel movements playing a bigger role and therefore increasing the threat of danger. I must admit the ending did surprise me and I was sad to see so many characters meet untimely ends. However I really do think Kiera Cass did a fantastic job in wrapping up this story.

4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment