Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Touch Down - I'm back in the UK

(My last class in China)

Touch Down - I’m back in the UK

So as the title suggests, for the first time in a long while, I am back home in Newcastle. And it’s amazing! I can walk into a bookshop knowing 99% of the books are in a language I  can understand, I can go to a restaurant where I don't have to mime a chicken to get my dinner, but better yet, I’m finally back in a place where I can walk down the street and have no one stare at me for being a foreigner. And so my two year journey in China has officially come to an end.

Am I sad? A little. It was an incredible experience, I made some amazing friends, seen and done many things that I never thought I would do and looking back to the me of 2013, I know I’ve really changed as a person. I’m more confident, more outspoken and the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. Living in China and teaching English was an experience I will never forget, and as sad as I was saying goodbye to all my students, I knew it was time to move on to the next thing. 

So what are my plans for 2015? Well I want to spend a month or two here in the UK. Now that I am officially unemployed and back with my parents, I am determined to at last finish my YA novel - currently stand at 60,000 words so hopefully this is an achievable goal! Just need to make it to 75,000! Who know’s, maybe this is the year I can make my dream of publication real. 

Otherwise once I’ve caught up with my family and friends I think this will be a year of travel and adventure. I’m already setting plans in motion to fly to Canada where I can meet up with my other half before we make our way back to Asia. So far it seems to be a unanimous decision that Vietnam will be our first stop but from there… who knows?! I can’t wait! 

Life is so good right now that I am almost afraid to jinx it! But I hope everyone else’s 2015 is shaping up to be just as good? And if anyone has any questions about moving to Asia, or teaching English as a foreign Language, or heck, if anyone wants to travel but is afraid to go it alone -come along with me! I’m just at the other end of an email!

Take care
XxX

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing time and your upcoming adventures sounds exciting too! x

    ReplyDelete