Sunday, 18 May 2014

If I Should Die - Book Review

12700337


If I should Die – Book Review

Amy Plum

YA Paranormal

Revenants Book #3

Synopsis:

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant out future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.
It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying – to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others – so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

Review:

Both an enjoyable read and lovely end to what has been a great series, If I should Die was a book I thoroughly enjoyed. With romance, intrigue and an ultimate battle between good and evil, fans of the series will not be disappointed with this final instalment of Amy Plum’s marvellous revenants trilogy.

When Vincent’s body is destroyed, Katie is left alone and distraught. Now with her boyfriend stuck as a wandering spirit - both of them betrayed by someone they thought a friend - and an impending war arising between the immortals of Paris, Kate is more determined than ever to play her part in putting things back to rights. She will not lose any more people she cares about!

So setting out on the seemingly hopeless task of reanimating her boyfriend, Kate is willing to pay any price to bring Vincent back to her. Yet when her family are suddenly thrust into the thick of her problems with the immortals, Kate’s realises her future, and that on those she loves, hangs on a single decision. But just what will Kate be willing to sacrifice, her love, her family… or her life…

Amy Plum did an amazing job of bringing this trilogy to a stunning conclusion. Picking up exactly where the last book left off, the reader is instantly thrown back into the action. With Vincent lost and the Revenants on the brink of war, the story moved at a fast pace and I found it almost impossible to put this book down. A real page turner!

Yet while I did guess many of the plot points, there were a few surprises along the way. But ultimately, everything that I wanted to happen, happened, therefore leaving me a very happy reader.

Also in this book Kates growth as character is truly apparent. She is no longer drifting through life and instead knows exactly what she wants from it – and thanks to all the life and death situations she was thrust into, she now has both the strength and the determination to achieve her goals. Learning from her past mistakes, she no longer lets her fear and self doubt control her. She trusts her instincts and it was great to watch how she has developed into this woman who is, now, quite the force to be reckoned with.

Vincent, of course, remains the perfect love interest. Protecting Kate when he can, yet sullenly understanding when she strikes out on her own. He lets her grow and doesn’t try to make her into the damsel in distress, and through each new danger his love and devotion to her are clear to see. Together they make the cutest couple.

Of course the secondary characters are also pretty bad ass. Jules for one is worth mentioning, it was nice to see his own feelings finally voiced and I enjoyed the secrets that came out about Jean-Baptise, along with a few other revenants.

And while it was sad to see some characters die (it was a war after all), I felt each death was justified and that the author didn’t just go ‘killing happy’ as some seem prone to do.

Overall I just really loved this series. The idea of revenants is a unique paranormal aspect that has barely been done, and the explanations and histories offered up to the reader about their world bring in the elements of credibility that can help make you wonder, what if…

So to conclude I’m sad to see this series end yet have thoroughly enjoyed Kate and Vincent’s journey. Completely recommended, the revenants trilogy is one for all YA paranormal romance fans. I am also looking forward to seeing what Amy Plum will come up with next.

4 ½ stars! 




No comments:

Post a Comment