Wednesday, 5 September 2012

My Soul to Take - Book Review


My Soul to Take – Book Review
Rachel Vincent
Soul Screamer Series Book #1
YA Paranormal

Synopsis:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

Review:
It’s been a long time since I first read this book and recently re-reading it made me remember what a truly awesome book it is. With a fast paced story line, great characters and a steamy romance – My Soul to Take is a hard book to put down and offers a great start to the soul screamer series.
For the most part, Kaylee Cavanaugh has led a pretty normal life. Yet the night she and her best friend sneak out into a club she spots a girl and feels the overwhelming and unexplainable urge to scream (not the best reaction to have when the hottest guy in school is currently talking to you). But as Kaylee is to discover, her reaction is perfectly normal… for a banshee.
Now a whole new world of supernatural oddities opens itself up to Kaylee as she discovers the truth about what she is and, more importantly, what she’s capable of. Coming from a long line of Banshees, Kaylee has the power to sense when a person is about to die – a handy gift – considering that recently girls around town are dropping down dead from a seemingly unknown cause. So, aided by the mysterious bad boy Nash, Kaylee makes it her mission to discover just what, and who, is causing these girls to die, but it is a mission that may cost her her life…
There are so many great things about this book! Firstly, I think it’s refreshing to read a paranormal romance that isn’t about vampires or werewolves – and I have to say I loved all the banshee myth and legend that comes with this story. Additionally I also liked how Rachel Vincent portrayed the idea of grim reapers, writing that reaping is nothing more than a job, and like most job’s, it comes with both its perks and limitations.  (Also I think Tod sounds like a total hunk!)
The characters were also brilliant. Kaylee is fun heroine, full or moral obligation and teen hormones – she is very realistic and entertaining to read. Nash on the other hand is in many ways your typical bad boy, deep and dangerous with plenty of secrets with hints of a troubled past. Yet the chemistry between him and Kaylee is so obvious, and I loved the slow build up of their romance… they make a great couple J
Also the secondary characters were all interesting, each with their own troubles and secret agendas. Particularly within Kaylee’s family which was a mix of complicated relationships, hidden pain and half-truths. All of which tangled together with the plot to create an engaging and dramatic story.
Therefore if you haven’t all ready I totally recommend that you check out this book along with the rest of the soul screamer series. Rachel Vincent has truly taken the paranormal genre to a whole new level.  Freshly tantalizing, dramatic and completely addictive, My Soul to Take is screamingly good! 4 Stars!
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide



3 comments:

  1. Isn't this a great start to a wonderful series of books?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this book a long time ago, didn't review it and totally forgot about it. At that moment it did really grab my attention & I was super excited about the sequal. But, then there were other books that got my attention too..I def. should reread it, because like you I really liked the characters and the plot! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this on my TBR pile, and wasn't too sure if I actually wanted to red it. But this is the best review I've seen about it, and has made me really want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete