Friday, 20 April 2012

Ondine, the summer of Shambles - Book Review


Ondine – The Summer of Shambles
Ebony Mckenna
YA Fantasy
This is a brilliantly witty story with a furry tail ending. One girl. One boy. One spell to be broken. Ondine de Groot is a normal fifteen-year-old who lives with her family in the European country of Brugel. She has a pet ferret called Shambles. But Shambles is no ordinary ferret...He's Hamish McPhee, a boy cursed by a witch. A witch who happens to be related to Ondine. When Shambles turns back into Hamish temporarily, Ondine knows that she has to help him break the spell. He is the most gorgeous boy she has ever met and her one true love! He just can't remain a ferret forever. Can he?
Review:
 ‘Ondine- the summer of Shambles’ has to be one of the most amusing and adorable books I’ve ever read. Although aimed at the 12+ age range it definitely contains elements of adult humour and made for a fun, light-hearted read that I flew through within a day.
I have to admit, at first I wasn’t really sure what to make of this book. It’s very different to anything I’ve ever read before yet after a few chapters, I was completely hooked. Although it took some getting used to, the writing style is so unique that it just swept me away. With such fairytale like prose, the text is also so full of strange phrases and Scottish words, that the author added footnotes – the footnotes being so random and entertaining that I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.
As a main character Ondine was an extremely likeable, her relationship with her parents and sisters both realistic and endearing. But it was the character of Shambles, a Scottish ferret/man who really gave the story its quirkiness. His cheeky demeanour and roughish charm made every scene a joy to read.
So overall I really enjoyed this book. Edgy and hilarious, I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a sweet, fun and light-hearted read. In particular, I think fans of Stephanie Burgis’ Kat series will really love this book. Totally brilliant. 4 Stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment