Saturday, 21 April 2012

Goddess Interrupted - Book Review

Goddess Interrupted – Book Review
Aimee Carter
YA paranormal
#2 of the Goddess Series
Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it. Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person whom she would really rather not meet. Henry's first wife, Persephone.
Review:
I really enjoyed the first book in Aimee Carter’s Goddess series, ‘The Goddess Test’ and honestly, I liked its sequel ‘Goddess Interrupted’ even better! I think this book had so much more action and drama in it, all of which made for a very gripping read. Combined with the cliff hanger ending, I can’t wait to get my hands on ‘The Goddess Inheritance’, the final book of the trilogy which is due out in April 2013.
In this second book, Kate returns from her summer abroad only to find the underworld in chaos. After her six-month absence, her relationship with Henry seems to have moved back to square one and, with the aid of the Goddess Calliope, the Titans are breaking free of their prison, hell bent on destroying the world. Now, with Henry’s life once again in danger, Kate must go in search of help, even if it means seeking out the one person she wishes to avoid more than anything. Her older sister and love rival Persephone. And so Kate’s epic journey through the underworld begins…
As I’ve begun to expect from Aimee Carter, the writing in this book is superb! The characters are well developed and are easy to relate to, the plot grows thicker with every page and the romance has remained sweet and endearing. However, I must admit that at times, I still found Kate to be a little whinny but by the end of the book I really think she had really evolved as a character and came into her own, both as a woman and a Goddess.
Henry was also a bit broody (but still gorgeous) and although their romance didn’t really blossom until the last third of the book, I really enjoyed watching the trust and feelings between him and Kate develop… no thanks to Persephone’s interfering presence. However I actually really liked Persephone’s character. After the first book I was totally prepared to hate her yet she was actually a pretty decent person. I also loved the depth and drama she added to the story.
Furthermore, as most of the story takes place in the underworld, I think it’s worth mentioning that I think Aimee carter’s interpretation of the afterlife was wonderful. That everyone, based on their beliefs, gets to live in their own unique version of eternity – it’s just fantastic!
So overall ‘Goddess Interrupted’ was a really great read and I’m eagerly awaiting the sequel! Dramatic, Romantic and filled with adventure, easily 4 Stars! J



2 comments:

  1. The ending was a neat twist. I really didn't see it coming, which I love. I can't wait for book three: The Goddess Inheritance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writing is as awesome as it was in the first book, only with this more awesome and complex plot it shined more in my opinion. There's nothing that will make your skills shine like a really juicy plot and when you have awesome characters already you can only go for the wow! factor, and this book certainly achieved that.

    Mica
    harry potter tour london

    ReplyDelete