Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Die for Me - Book Review


Die for Me
Amy Plum
YA Paranormal
Revenants Book: 1

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Review

I have to admit, I was initially drawn to this book by its stunningly pretty cover. The pink background, the dress, the black swirly vine – and then I learned that the story was set in France. I was completely sold and just had to buy it – and I’m really glad I did.
Although I think that in many ways ‘Die for me’ was very much a typical cliché of paranormal-romance, I couldn’t help but really, really enjoy it. Sometimes the clichés just work, and Amy Plum put this story together beautifully.
After the death of her parents, Kate Mercier and her sister move to France to live with their grandparents, the last of their living relatives.  Completely shutting the door on her old life, Kate does her best to forget all that she’s lost by spending both her days and nights in solitude, losing herself in books.  And then, in a small café in Paris she meets Vincent. A devastatingly handsome boy, who inexplicably, makes her frozen her pound with long forgotten feeling. The only problem is, Vincent isn’t entirely human.
He is a revenant. Someone who is compelled to save lives often by giving his own – only after dying, Vincent reanimates in his own body a few days later, thus making him immortal, meaning his and Kate’s blossoming romance is essentially doomed.
As far as paranormal stories go, I thought this idea of revenants was really unique and Amy Plum certainly adds her own twist to the old mythology. Otherwise though the plot carries with it many of the regular Y/A elements, forbidden romance, evil bad guys, secrets and tragic pasts – all of which Amy Plum mixed together to create a really good book.
The main characters, Kate and Vincent were both charming and extremely likeable, the romance between them sweet and slow burning. I especially liked how Kate truly falls for Vincent long before the supernatural element is added, as it makes her reactions afterwards all the more realistic. However, unlike many other Y/A books I’ve read, I loved the fact that the two of them actually went out on dates and spent time getting to know one another – Dates just hardly ever seem to happen in books these days, so in my opinion it earned ‘Die for me’  extra points.
Also all the other characters were interesting and well developed. The relationships between them all felt real and not forced. For example when Kate meets Vincent’s ‘family’, aka the other revenants, she bonds with them all slowly, earning their trust and respect naturally through time spent together.
So overall, I found ‘Die for me’ an extremely good book. Romantic and mysterious, Amy Plum added a fresh concept to an overused storyline, and made it shine. It’s a wonderful start to a new series, and I am highly looking forward to the next book! Most definitely recommended. J


1 comment:

  1. Great review here Sarah! I have the same feeling while reading this book. I commend Amy Plum for this wonderful novel. It think what set this book apart from others is that it's unique. Amy Plum created her own creature plus Paris is just a must see! I think Paris was wonderfully described in this novel. I really love the characters as well especially Vincent and Kate. I love how their story bloomed along with the story.

    If you have time please visit us on Revenant Central.

    The second novel Until I Die comes out May, I hope you could join the whole gang of Revenants on their next adventure.

    Vincent and Kate sends their love!

    ReplyDelete