Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Low Red Moon - Book Review


 
Low Red Moon – Book Review
Ivy Devlin
YA Paranormal
The only thing that Avery Hood can recall about the night her parents died is that she saw silver – deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed her parents, she can’t, and there’s nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together.
Then Avery meets the new boy at school. Ben is mysterious and beautiful, and Avery feels a connection with him like nothing she’s ever experienced. Ben is also a werewolf, but Avery trusts him – at first. Then she see’s that sometimes his eyes flash an inhuman silver. And she learns that she’s not the only one who can’t remember the night her parents died…
To be blunt, I picked up this book because I thought that it had a really pretty cover and for some inexplicable reason something inside me just demanded I buy it – and I’m glad I did. ‘Low Red Moon’ was a good and enjoyable read but I must admit that I had some issues with the overall plot.
As a relatively short book of 244 pages, I understand that there wasn’t room for every idea and plotline to be fully explained and fleshed out, however at times this left me a little dissatisfied and sometimes confused as to what was happening and why.
The characters though I really loved. Avery is an honest and believable as well as being a very easy character to get attached to. Her feelings for her family and the house she grew up in, the reactions towards her grandmother who she barely knows, the confusion of her feelings towards Ben – It all adds to the drama and atmosphere of the book.
The story also keeps you guessing right up until the end – although while some parts were a little predictable the majority of the story holds you in suspense and gives you a few ‘I-never-saw-that-coming’ moments. I also really enjoyed the Little Red Riding Hood elements that were strewn hidden throughout the book :)
So overall a quick and gripping read that I would recommend to any teen-werewolf lovers who want a bit of a twist to the usual paranormal romances out there.  *** Stars!


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored this book. Yes, it could have been longer and better fleshed out, but I hear there will be a sequel? I was completely sold on Avery and Ben's relationship though and I thought the beautiful cover and the word moon being in red text inside the book to be a wonderful touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book in my bookcase for over a year and I haven't found the time to read it. Mainly because there are so little reviews on it, but like you I bought it because of the pretty cover. Your review might just have bumped it up a little higher on my list...I do love a book that keeps me guessing. I tend to be able to predict endings :/

    ReplyDelete