Thursday, 13 October 2011

Angel - L.A Weatherly Book Review


Angel – Book Review
L.A Weatherly
Y/A Paranormal
Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures; know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from…
But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

While I have never been a fan of whole ‘Angel and Demon’ craze that recently stormed the YA book shelves, L.A Weatherly’s ‘Angel’ honestly surprised me. Not only was it a book I enjoyed immensely, but it portrayed a darker, flip side to angels that I have never seen done before.
Based on the premise that Angels aren’t the kindly, protective beings mythology suggests, but actually cruel, darker creatures who feed off the life force of humans, this book’s unique concept had me utterly intrigued.
Written in a combination of both first and third person - I must admit that the change of narrative threw me a little at first. However once you get use to it I think it helps add depth to the story, and it also distinguishes the view points between the two protagonists Alex and Willow.
 I also really liked how the romance between these two blossomed sweet and slowly. Although while the initial attraction was there from the beginning, their feelings built up over time and it was only after several days spent in each other’s company - and many close calls with death - that they finally got together. For me this made the romance between them all that more real and moving.
Throughout this book I was also really fascinated by the concept of religion and how the ‘Angels’ were using it for their own evil purposes. Also the idea of angel burn (the after affects of an angel’s touch that cause illness and mental diseases) I felt added a nice sideline to the plot.  I’m curious to see how both these ideas will continue in L.A weatherly’s sequel, ‘ANGEL FIRE’ which was recently released in the UK on 1st October 2011.
Therefore overall I felt this was a really good book with a captivating story and would recommend it to anyone who loves to read Young Adult, especially if you’re like me and have been disappointed with teen angel stories in the past. Everyone, this is a book you most definitely want to pick up! :)

4 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about this, it is near the top of my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one so much! I haven't liked many of angel books with you, but this one really was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this, the whole consept of the storyline sounds amazing. Thanks for following my blog - your blog is brilliant too!Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely leery of YA angel stories these days - I'm stuck halfway through Halo and not feeling particularly keen to pick it up again - but I like the sound of a darker version of angels very much! (Reminds me a little of killer unicorns... ;) )

    Love the look of your blog Sarah - and love that it didn't take forever to load either!

    ReplyDelete