Friday 19 August 2011

A Most Improper Magick - Book Review



A Most Improper Magick – Book Review
Stephanie Burgis
Middle Grade Fantasy
9 – 12+

Synopsis:

At twelve years old, any proper young lady should be sitting quietly at home practising her embroidery, learning French and keeping her opinions to herself.
But Kat Stephenson is no ordinary young lady.
Kat’s father may be a respectable vicar, but her late mother was a notorious witch, her brother has gambled the whole family into debt, and Kat herself is the newest target of an ancient and secretive magical order.
In this first thrilling instalment of ‘the unladylike adventures of Kat Stephenson’, Kat sets out to win her older sisters their true loves, battling highwaymen, practicing magic and breaking all of society’s rules along the way…

Review:

I must admit that when I first picked up ‘A most Improper Magick’ I had never heard of it before. In fact I just thought that it had a really nice cover and I only ever intended it be a light read to kill some time while I waited for my friend to finish her shift at the library.
 I never imagined how quickly I would get drawn into Kat’s world of magic and mayhem and an hour later I was completely engrossed!
I think Stephanie Burgis is a genius!  ‘A Most Improper Magick’ was extremely well written and although I may sound a little old fashioned, the phrase ‘it was simply a delightful’ seems to fit it perfectly. 

 Light-hearted with plenty of plot twists, Kat is a fantastic character. Funny and outspoken, this book is about her determination to save her family from both social and financial ruin, find her sisters love (even if she doesn’t really understand the point of a husband herself) , all while discovering how to use the powers left to her by a mother she has no memory of. All, while enduring the endless rules and etiquette enforced upon her by her stepmother and older sisters. 

Yet despite their determination to keep her out of trouble Kat constantly finds ways to break the tight fitting rules of society, all of which lead to her adventures with magick mirrors, secret orders and daring highwaymen.
Honestly this book was such a fantastic read I think it would be loved by people of all ages, but most especially young girls, tomboys and anyone with annoying older siblings! 5 stars :)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like this book would suit me down to the ground being a 13 year old tomboy :)

    ReplyDelete