Sunday, 17 July 2011

Shiver - Book Review


Shiver -Book Review
Maggie Stiefavter
YA Paranormal Romane

Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears.
Sam lives two lives. In winter he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack and in summer, he has a few precious months to be human... until the cold makes him shift back again.

When Grace and Same finally meet they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as the winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever...

First off let me say that everything in this book was fantastic and so different to the other paranormal romances that I have read. I particularly liked Maggie Stiefvaters new take on werewolves, twisting the story so that it is the cold that forces the transformation into a wolf. 

However even the characters were not at all like I expected them to be. Take Sam for example, I have never known the author to make the main guy and love interest into such a sensitive sweetheart but it really worked, making the book an absolute pleasure to read.Yet admittedly while I didn’t care much for some of the secondary characters such as Grace's parents who really irritated me, I still became really engrossed in Sam and Graces story. The romance and attraction between them felt so real and there were some really sweet and heartbreaking moments between them.
This makes Shiver one of my favourite reads of this year. Enthralling, captivating and extremely hard to put down, I am eagerly looking forward to reading its sequel. Therefore I have no qualms about recommending this book to every lover of paranormal romance! It’s a fantastic read!


No comments:

Post a Comment