Saturday, 9 July 2011

The Iron Witch - Book Review



The Iron Witch
Karen Mahoney
YA Fantasy
 Donna is a freak. An outcast. Branded with iron tattoos that cover her hands and arms, she is cursed with magically-enhanced strength that she does everything she can to hide.
But now, the dark exiles of faerie are coming and Donna must choose between saving her best friend – or betraying one of the world’s greatest secrets…

Like many other Y/A  fantasy’s The Iron Witch was blended together with the usual the orphan, the outcast, the best friend’s unrequited love and the mysterious stranger with a secret storyline. However, the way Karen Mahoney puts it together is brilliant and I particularly liked her new take on alchemy. I think it was this element that really made the book unique and set it aside from other paranormal works. I also loved the made up setting of Iron Bridge, it sounds like such a real town.
Continually for a debut novel I think Karen Mahoney has done a fantastic job and I while I would have liked to see a little more depth to the characters I am curious to see how they shall progress in the next book, The Wood Queen which is due to release 12th Feb 2012 in the UK.
Therefore overall I could happily recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a great tale of the mystical and sometimes scary world of dark faeries with a little bit of romance, drama and intrigue thrown in. Combined with its really beautiful cover The Iron Witch was a fantastic book!


No comments:

Post a Comment