Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Daughter of the Flames - Book Review



Daughter of the Flames
Zoe Marriott
YA Fantasy
What if your deadliest enemy was the only one who could save you?
In an ancient temple in the mountains of Ruan, fifteen-year-old Zira trains to become a warrior priestess, fighting against the occupying forces of the tyrannical King Abheron. Then terror strikes at everything Zira loves.
To survive, she must unravel the secrets of her identity, decide her people’s fate – and accept her feelings for a man who should be her enemy…

 First things first, I loved this book. ‘Daughter of the Flames’ really gripped me from the first page and I was especially intrigued by Zira as its rare to find a main character who is described as anything less than perfect. I think her disfiguring scar along with aliments suffered by other characters made the book much more realistic and really set the Scene for a war torn country.
Also Marriott didn’t try to tone down scenes of death or suffering which made it easy to sympathize with the characters and the book was full of unexpected twists and turns where Zira’s plans were changed or thwarted. This of course made the book very hard to put down as I constantly wanted to know what was going to happen next!
I also thought that the antagonist was unusual. As the story revealed hints about his dark and tragic past he was one of those strange characters who you couldn’t really like… but didn’t want to hate. This made the book really intriguing to read as I was constantly trying to work out his motives, and when the final curtain came down and the truth was revealed… well let’s just say that after all the suspense and build up I was not disappointed.

And then of course there were also the romantic elements between Zira and Sorin. I wasn’t quite sure what to make of this as watching their relationship develop was sweet, but I wish it could have been drawn out over a longer period which is really my only criticism of the book. Then again the characters were in the middle of fighting a war.  
Overall though I really enjoyed this book and while I’ve recently been thinking that there has been a bit of a lack of great fantasy novels lately Zoe Marriott did not disappoint. She had totally earned a place up there with my other favourite authors, Tamora Pierce, Maria Snyder and Garth Nix as her novel ‘Daughter of the flames’ was a truly engaging read that I would recommend to every lover of fantasy and kick-ass heroines. :)


2 comments:

  1. Ahh yay! So glad you enjoyed it! I read Daughter of the Flames and The Swan Kingdom as soon as they came out and I am so excited to read Shadows on the Moon, Zoes newest book! Which I got through the post yesterday!

    Jade @ Ink Scratchers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm halfway through Shadows of the moon and totally loving it so far! Havent read the swan kingdom yet though, its currently saved in my basket for my next splurge on amazon... *Sigh, if only payday could arrive faster :)

    ReplyDelete